RE: Re: page works on public web site, but not on my computer

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 08:27 -0400, Bob McConnell wrote:
> I recommend you start by replacing Vista. There are so many problems
> with it that Microsoft is rushing to ship a replacement as soon as
> possible. It remains to be seen whether Windows 7 is a real fix or
> merely more of the same problems.
>
> I am not aware of any serious developers writing code specifically for
> Vista. We only test our products on it enough to decide if we will
> support each product on that OS. If they don't work out of the box, we
> don't support them nor recommend our clients install them on Vista.
> There are no copies of Vista installed in the company outside of the ESX
> servers used for testing.
>
> I would recommend Red Hat as the replacement.
>
> Bob McConnell

I'll second that. I don't use Windows myself anymore for anything except
World of Warcraft, but my little time spent using Vista has left me
wanting to do violence! You can't go too wrong with using a Linux OS as
your development server, as that is what is in use on the majority of
the worlds web servers anyway. I've also not yet seen any PHP apps which
will only work on Windows, and I believe that most of the modules that
are in mainstream use at the moment are available on Linux (and more
than likely were available to that platform before Windows) and in a lot
of cases perform better.

Also, having a good bit of Linux experience under your belt can work
wonders on your CV!

RedHat is good for this sort of thing, or Fedora if you intend to use it
as your desktop machine also (as they are pretty much the same, but
Fedora is where new features, etc are seen first out of the two. Suse
isn't bad, and has some good Windows network integration (for things
like Active Directory) if you are using it as a work desktop machine as
well as a development server.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk