Re: Warning: OutsourcingRoom.com

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 15:14 +0100, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 11:10 -0300, Martin Scotta wrote:
> > Nobody can actually do anything. This happen all the time.
> >
> > Sites like facebook or myspace send invitations to all your mail's
> > contacts, but that's not the problem. What I can't understand is why
> > do they do pre-signup just you for the "easy" of you.
> > I have _created_ an account just to edit my personal data, that's nonsense!!!
> >
> > If you give your contact info you are allowing this kind of "issues",
> > but if you don't... well, you can't use internet if you don't.
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Ashley
> > Sheridan<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Is there nothing that anybody can actually do about this? Where is the
> > > new company based? Are there laws in that country about this sort of
> > > thing?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ash
> > > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> > >

> > > --
> > >

> > --
> > Martin Scotta
> >
> Nicely said, but doesn't answer the question.
>
> Sites like that will send out emails all the time as invites, because
> they have the permission of whoever they are sending the emails on
> behalf of, hence why they can access the contacts list.
>
> This is a different situation, where the site was hacked, and the
> company is not only sending out invite links to all the email addresses
> it found, but it is including other personal information, i.e. the
> username and password on the original site. Also, as it got that
> information as a result of hacking, and they are the ones directly using
> that information, well, they could be in a lot of trouble depending on
> where in the world they are.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

FYI, it looks like the company responsible for outsourcingroom.com is
based in the UK, but the owner is based in the Ukraine. As the site is
hosted in the UK, there are actions that can be taken, as whatever
hosting company they use must take action if this sort of illegal
behaviour is brought to their attention, afaik.