Re: Warning: OutsourcingRoom.com

On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 20:49 -0700, Steve wrote:
> Daniel Brown wrote:
> >     Just as a heads-up, in case you guys weren't yet aware (cross-posting):
> >
> >     Elance.com was the victim of an SQL injection attack earlier this
> > summer (they apparently missed our billions of threads on sanity).
> > According to their folks, only names, company names, phone numbers,
> > and email addresses were taken.  Whether or not that's true, I don't
> > know, but that's beyond the scope of this warning.
> >
> >     The most recent attempt to get more of your personal information
> > comes from a (*possibly* legitimate) website named
> > OutsourcingRoom.com.  If you have been a member of Elance, you may
> > have already received the message from OSR that claims that you signed
> > up with them, and gives you a username and password.  Now, I'm not
> > here to tell you guys and gals what to do, but taking the facts into
> > account - the stealing of private information by breeching the
> > security of a competitor - it's entirely up to you as to whether or
> > not you'll consider OSR a trustworthy business.  Chances are, they'll
> > not only charge you for using the service, but will also be so kind as
> > to reuse (or redistribute) your private and financial information,
> > should you be willing to give it to them.
> >
> >     We've already received numerous hits on our network for
> > OutsourcingRoom.com and one or two other shoddy attempts to gain more
> > information.  Today the emails seem to have picked up significantly,
> > and appear to be not only valid, but professionally-crafted.
> > Thankfully, we were anticipating such, after being alerted to the
> > attack by Elance themselves.  Perhaps a bit embarrassing for them, but
> > it was a good move to mitigate the damage post-fact, in my opinion.
> >
> >     That's it.  Just trying to keep everyone from getting scammed and
> > screwed.  For more information, check Google, as always.  ;-P
> >

> I got that email. I was wondering what that was about. Thanks for the info!

Well, I try not to give out my details to too many people each month,
and this month they were beat to it by a nice fellow in Nigeria who I'm
helping out by letting him put some money into my account. Next month I
had originally planned to invest in those berrys everyone is talking
about and some watches, and then after that, I need to update my account
details on Ebay (I forgot I even had an account with them!) as they keep
asking me to go and do it because of a security update they've made.

Ho hum...

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk