Re: Font problem

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 12:07 +0200, Dušan Novaković wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a possibility that if there is no font installed on client
> side somehow browser finds it and redirect that font form server to
> client machine. For example: I have site that use Microsoft font and
> that font is not available on Linux distributions. So when u open page
> in FF on some Linux u get some default font (because browser doesn't
> recognize that font). I hope that I've managed to explane a problem
> :-) Does anyone has any solution for this problem??? Please it's very
> urgent....
>
> Thanks,
> Dusan
>
> --
> made by Dusan

Basically that's a big no. At the moment, there is no cross-browser way
to determine if a font is installed on an end system. The best you can
do is to use either a graphic in-place of the text, or use something
like siFr. Both of these methods are only suitable for headings though.

Have you looked at what standard fonts are available to you? The list at
http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html is quite good at
showing these. You can use CSS to give fallback fonts in order of what
you prefer.

There are meant to be plans on how to handle these sorts of situations
in CSS3 though, but you may have to wait a year for the browsers to
adopt!

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk