Re: How to pull window to the foreground - Window Focus

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:39 AM, WebPat<webpat52@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Andrew Ballard wrote:
>>
>> A lot of sites are moving to simulated dialog windows inside the page.
>> They have a few nice benefits:
>>
>> 1) Since they aren't real windows, they do not interfere with other
>> tabs or windows you have open in your browser.
>>
>> 2) Since they are actually part of the page itself, they will always
>> either stay on top of the other page elements or else they will
>> automatically close (whichever effect is desired).
>>
>> 3) They are not actual pop-up windows, so they won't be blocked by
>> pop-up blockers.
>>

>> Granted, they depend on JavaScript, but then so did your other approach.
>>

>> http://www.google.com/search?q=div+popup+window
>>

>> Andrew
>
> Thanks, I hadn't thought about that approach. It's certainly an alternative.
> I think I have come across some of them on various sites, but I've found
> them to be quite disagreeable. As you scroll, they often scroll down, then
> float back to their assigned position. Weird. And they are usually blocking
> something that I want to see.
>
> I don't know if what I'm doing is javascript or not. I never have that
> identifier on my web page. I do call the Window.Open (function?), so, if
>  that counts then yeah. But I like the separate window better. The user can
> more easily move it out of the way - even off the browser window - and
> continue reading the main page while referring to the popup window.
> I'd actually like to allow the user to create multiple popup windows, which
> I create from buttons on my webpage, but right now they all go to the same
> window, and I've had enough trouble trying to get that to work.  I'm there
> now with that last Window.Focus detail - except that Firefox seems to be
> having a problem with that. But, I'm not going to worry about that. So, for
> now I'm good.
>
> --

If they are all going to the same window, its likely that you have a
window.open function that names the window. When the window has a
name/id, then any subsequent calls to the window open command will
re-use the same window. if you remove the id attribute (the call is
usually window.open(url,id,parameters) and substitute an empty string
( '' ) then it should open new windows.

Back to the DIVs option, you can write js controls that make the
window dragable, hidable etc to improve the users enjoyment of the
page

--

Bastien

Cat, the other other white meat