More on "JS alert that links to file"

I have a question that follows on from this discussion. I have a loop
which creates a number of files. It first write each file to a server
location then sets up the headers and asks the "Save As" question. This
works OK once, but after the first download it exits without any errors
or messages. If I remove the header() lines (ie just create the files on
the server) no worries, it creates them all. (I start op buffer at the
top of the code and flush the buffer on each loop). Anyone have any
ideas please?
Thanks
Tony