Saving server side file to local machine with JS

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

When PHP finishes creating the file I need one of the JS alert type windows to appear that says..

"Your file has completed, would you like to save it to your machine?"

Like you get when you download a file.

If I knew the JS code to do this I perhaps could embed it in the PHP at the end of the function that creates the file???

Is that clearer?

Thanks,
Skip

--