Re: Structure of PHP files

Floyd Resler wrote:
When I first started programming in PHP I used the second method you mentioned. I had a single file I called utils.php and it contained all the functions I could possibly need throughout my site. Unfortunately, this file grew to be over 10,000 lines and most of the time I only needed a couple of functions for each script I loaded. I have now abandoned that method and use a more modular approach. I have a lib folder that contains much smaller and specialized scripts (mainly classes). Now I only include what I need. I found it much easier to maintain than having a single file.

Not that I disagree with your methodology at this time, but you could have just made that single big file, include all those little files and still had a single load statement in each of your consumer source files. With compile caches the burden of loading all that code at startup is rather negligible :)

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com