Re: MySQL Queries in PHP

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Tom Chubb<tomchubb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi List,
> Just wanted to pick your brains please?
> I'm trying to standardise on the way I query databases and move away from
> the Dreamweaver built-in functions (which I know you all hate!) ;)
> I've been on this list for about 5 years now and I don't think I've ever
> heard anyone mention the Pear packages, eg: MDB_QueryTool and wondered if
> there was any reason why not?
> I found some classes on phpclasses and have already started using one of
> them by Henry Chen and there are plenty more.
> I am still using Dreamweaver as the text editor for PHP on a Mac and trying
> to code things manually but building SQL queries are one of the biggest
> problems I come across.
> To be honest, Dreamweaver used to be fine but for me, historically on both
> PC and Mac, after a while it decides that it can connect to the DB but
> cannot see any of the tables which prevent using the wizards which is why
> I'm moving away from it.
> All tutorials on the net are different and I'd like some info on the best
> practices that you guys follow when dealing with MySQL.
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tom
>
> PS - I'm only dealing with simple queries: show, insert, update, delete,
> etc.

I've always enjoyed writing SQL myself, as it is sort of challenging
and interesting to do, so I've always written them by hand.  I'd
recommend learning SQL yourself, as the queries tools generate, in my
experience, are never quite as useful as hand-written, nor as fast.
It's not that difficult to do and if you can't write queries yourself,
whether you do or not, no one is going to take you very seriously as a
web developer.  So, my best suggestion to you is to just buck up and
learn SQL, as useless as that is.