Re: MySql Injection advice

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Haig Dedeyan<hdedeyan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> for the phone #'s, I'm using int as the data type & storing each part of the
> phone # in its own cell,
>
> When it gets displayed, I add a dash in between each part of the phone #'s
> (country code-area code-1st set of digits-last set of digits)
>
> Cheers
>
> Haig

I disagree. Telephone numbers are not actually numbers; they are
sequences of numeric digits. Unlike IP addresses where 10.0.0.1 is
equivalent to 010.000.000.001, leading zeros are significant; they are
part of the data, not just padding to be inserted automatically by the
database or by a formatting function in the presentation layer. When
you validate an area code in the North American numbering plan, do you
validate that it is a number between 1 and 999 or do you validate that
it is a string of exactly 3 decimal-digit characters long? Expand that
to international phone numbers, and the zeros become even more
significant since you can't easily make assumptions about the length
of various segments in a phone number.

Sorry, but I just don't see any advantage to storing them as integers.

Andrew