PHP/mysql equivalent of PEAR's tableInfo()??

I have been using PEAR's tableInfo() to remind myself about the columns in the table.. but now I want to see as much data as possible about the table and its contents *without* using PEAR. (I.e. just using built in stuff for mysqli.)

I have been looking through the manuals, even tried this:

$info = mysqli_query($db_billing,"SHOW FULL COLUMNS IN billing_clients IN billing");
echo '<pre>'. print_r($info) .'</pre>';

which returns just:
mysqli_result Object
(
)
<pre>1</pre>

??

.. and anyway SO much time gets wasted. I always aim to find things myself.. but something so easy and quick.. it seems a shame to not just ask.

Should I be asking this Q on another list? I see there are lists for just "[mysql] General Discussion", and also for "MySQL and PHP" on the http://lists.mysql.com/ site.. I don't need super deep stuff. just the basics, all with respect to doing it from PHP.

What are you guys using to dump 'everything-you-always-wanted-to-know- about-your-table'?