Re: exasperated again

PJ wrote:
Could somebody please explain to me what is wrong with this code?
In my script it works, returns the correct id, but when I try it in a
test pages, nothing in the world gets it to work. This is rather
frustrating, again:
THIS WORKS IN ANOTHER PAGE; IN THE TEST PAGE ID DOES NOT.
$sql = "SELECT id FROM publishers
        WHERE publisher = 'whoever'";
      $result = mysql_query($sql,$db);
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result); if (mysql_num_rows($result) !== 0) {
          $pub = $row['id'];
Syntax is ok, echo "hello"; works.

This works in the test page:
$aid = array();
$ord = array();
$sql = "SELECT authID, ordinal
        FROM book_author WHERE bookid = 624 ORDER BY ordinal ASC";
$result = mysql_query($sql, $db); //$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
            while ( $row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result) ) {
            $aid[]=$row['authID'];
            $ord[]=$row['ordinal'];
            }
            var_dump($aid);
            echo "<br />";
            var_dump($ord);
            echo $aid[0], " - ";
            echo $ord[0];

This does not:
$fi="joe"; $la="joe";
$sql = "SELECT id FROM author
        WHERE first_name = '$fi' && last_name = '$la'";
    $result = msql_query($sql, $db);
        $row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
        $count=mysql_num_rows($result);
    echo $count;
          if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) {
          $a_id=$row['id'];
          }
          echo $a_id, "<br /><br />";
The test page prints out echo "some text"; but no results when the
results are there....
Tell me I have missed something simple here, or is this normal for php ?
I have checked the queries on Mysql command line and they are fine.
I have verified the syntax and Netbeans tells me it is fine.
Same results Firefox3 (2 machines) & IE 8.
What is not fine?

I was preaching this to you months ago. You should have error reporting turned on in a development area.

by that I mean php should be set to display_errors = on and error_reporting = E_ALL

Give this a try in a development area and "you will see the errors of your ways..."

--
Jim Lucas

   "Some men are born to greatness, some achieve greatness,
       and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V
    by William Shakespeare