cannot figure out permissions for fopen/fwrite

Hello,

This is probably a dumb newbie question. I am running PHP 5.2.5 and Apache 2.2.8 on my Mac Book Pro OS X 10.4.11. I compiled PHP and Apache from source a while ago (as opposed to using the built-in web server that is included w/ Mac OS X). I have written the below PHP whose purpose is to read an existing comma separated (CSV) file and save the data into a text file that I can later copy and paste from into my website content management system. The problem is that on my Mac, I cannot seem to figure out what permissions I need to set in order to make the input CSV and the initially non-existant output text file readable and writable by Apache/PHP. I have Googled and come across many pages about different ways to set permissions and different permissions to set but none of the ways suggested that I tried seemed to work for me. As a temporary solution, I uploaded my PHP file to a Windows 2003 server running Apache and PHP and it worked flawlessly (and makes me suspicious that there is some huge security hole with the Windows box since it was able to execute with no permissions modifications). Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mari

--- start my code ---
<?php

	$in = fopen("/Applications/apache/htdocs/wp-php/wp.csv", "r");
$out = fopen("/Applications/apache/htdocs/wp-php/ tableToCutAndPaste.txt", "w");
	$counter = 0;

	fwrite($out, "<table>\n");

	while(($data = fgetcsv($in)) !== FALSE) {
		$paperNumber = $data[0];
		$authors = $data[1];
		$title = $data[2];
		$filename = $paperNumber . ".pdf";

		if(($counter % 2) == 0) {
			fwrite($out, "<tr>\n");
		} else {
			fwrite($out, "<tr style=\"background: #cccccc;\">\n");
		}

fwrite($out, "<td><a href=\"http://www.example.com/workingpapers/ getWorkingPaper.php?filename=$filename\">$paperNumber</a></td>\n");
		fwrite($out, "<td>$authors</td>\n");
		fwrite($out, "<td>$title</td>\n");