Problems with an extension

So I am developing a custom extension and I am having a issue. I have a header
file that I need included in the project. If I #include the header file
everything compiles and makes just fine, but after restarting the web server
the extension won't load.

If I remove or comment out the #include of the header file everything still
compiles and makes just fine, and after restarting the web server the extension
is loaded just fine.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause the extension to refuse to load
with the header file included?

-Eric