Re: Re: Progressbar

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Bastien Koert<phpster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Michael A. Peters<mpeters@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Martin Scotta wrote:
>>>
>>> I found extremely un-productive editors or IDEs like Eclipse or Zend
>>> Studio.
>>>
>>> I use SciTE.
>>>
>>> It don't has any feature you are talking about...
>>>
>>> but it..
>>>  # do not eat all you ram
>>>  # starts in a microsecond
>>>  # opens any type of file
>>>  # paints the code in pretty colors.
>>>  # has a little intellisense using pre-written words or api files
>>>

>> I almost exclusively use bluefish, the closest I come to an IDE for anything
>> I do is emacs + AUCTeX for my occasional TeX needs.
>>
>> I also use vim and on the rare occasions I'm stuck with Windows, something I
>> think called PSPad (not sure, downloaded it awhile back at my parents
>> house). I actually have a license for Homesite, but I don't think I can
>> install it on their computer and I don't run Windows anymore. That was nice.
>>
>> On a Mac - bbedit for everything.
>>
>> However, all that being said, I do very little php. Right now though a
>> little more than usual.
>>
>> --
>>

> over the past little while I have been using
>
> komodo edit (free) - good (more like a text editor with some brains),
> good code completion and hinting
> aptana studio (free) - eclipse based, bigger learning curve, but lots
> of functionality
> netbeans (free) - good, nice interface
>

> --
>
> Bastien
>
> Cat, the other other white meat
>
> --

Well the thing about being productive out of the box with Zend Studio
isn't entirely related to Zend Studio, it's more of an Eclipse
problem.  Eclipse itself, whether using it in a heavily modified form
like Aptana or PDT or Zend Studio, or just using it out of the box for
Java development or C/C++ development or anything in between, has a
ridiculously steep learning curve for what's really just a fancy text
editor.  While this turns a lot of people off, I was lucky (although I
sure didn't think so at the time) enough to have it forced on me when
I was learning Java in school.  And in the end, I'm pretty glad that I
was forced to learn Eclipse because it's been the go to editor for all
my coding needs, whether PHP, Python, C, Java, even complex shell
scripting.  And whenever someone is learning to develop and gets to
the point that they'd actually take advantage of some of the more
advanced features of Eclipse - step through debugging, code
autocompletion, etc. - I recommend that they take some time out of
learning the code, or coding, and learn Eclipse.  The second Java
class I took was actually "learning Eclipse" and it was one of the
more useful classes that I've taken, given that there's no longer a
learning curve for any IDE that I want to use.

Yes, Eclipse is pretty intimidating and oftentimes more complicated
than it needs to be, but there's a level of customizability that
doesn't exist in any other editors that I've seen.  Whether it's
making code look and behave exactly the same, or binding keybindings
to things like SVN commit / update / resolve, it's all possible in
Eclipse.  Whether you use Aptana, PDT, Zend Studio (>= 6.0) or another
derivative, I'd definitely recommend using Eclipse and once you've
topped the learning curve, you'll be able to say that your IDE
actually boosts your productivity significantly, which is the ultimate
goal anyway.