Re: Re: XSS Preventing.

Cons:
1. Can't easily edit information in the database
2. Can't display raw for the user (e.g. edit a forum post)
3. Uses more space in the DB
4. Isn't as easily indexed
5. Breaks il8n support of internal search engines (sphinx, lucene, etc.)

You're NEVER supposed to santize before inserting in the DB.  Ever.
Regarding the "performance" boost, if your application is written so
well that calling htmlentities() is hurting the performance, I bow to
you as writing the highest performing PHP I've ever seen.  I would bet
money that validation and sanitization, even if overdone, wouldn't
take more than 2 or 3 percent of execution time.

Do NOT do this, OP, it's terrible practice.