Re: formatting - design question

At 10:23 AM +0100 6/5/09, Peter Ford wrote:
PJ wrote:
 > tedd wrote:
 >> First you figure out a layout, then you populate it. You don't pick a
 >> layout, populate it and then change the layout.

 If only it were that simple.
 When one is developing, one is always changing. And even when you're
 finally "live and on the air", you will still be changing or else your
 site will die before your client gets a chance to see all you can offer.
 It's a matter of evolution and adaptation, Darwin. ;-)

Agree with PJ here:
More likely, you go live and the boss says "Can you make that look more like ...?"
"Er, yes, but it totally stuffs the whole design..."

If your Boss wants you to "test out" designs for his approval, that's one thing. I see no problem with a "Let's see what this might look like?" initial design decisions -- after all, he's paying for your time.

However, IMO his buck would be better spent if he hired a designer to design something around the needs of the project. I understand that sometimes "Bosses" aren't the brightest lot when it comes to things outside of their job description. But it is also your charge to explain the change asked for "totally stuffs the whole design..." If your Boss doesn't care about cost overruns in development, then start studying for his position because his boss does.

I am addressing what to do with clients who change their minds on agreed layouts.

My practice is the client decides on a layout that fits their needs before any development is done. If the client wants to change their mind in the middle of the development stage, that's fine -- but they will also pay for that change.

In my book, the "best" way to design a site is to: 1) decide what functionality is needed; 2) and then design a layout that presents the functionality in an attractive and accessible manner.

Creating a site is a lot like programming. The time spent identifying the problem will: a) shorten the overall time required to create a solution; b) and will also provide a more stable solution.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------