Query Regarding a Player

Hi All,
            I hope you all are doing great.We are developing a application
on our end and we got a problem with a Audio/Vedio player.As flash player is
working  well with client side but it has limitation of file formats like it
can run .flv file format only.If we go for media player then it  won't run
on Linux Server.

            Now i want to develop a player which can run any file format at
client side.Can anybody suggest any algorithm or protocol to build a Player?

With Regards,
Hemant Patel