Re: Re: PHP vs ASP.NET

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Tom Worster <fsb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> assuming one had suitable hardware, what does it cost to start developing
> for asp? i guess you'd need to buy a copy of some windows server for dev
> test. what else?

That's about it. ASP/ASP.NET both come with Windows if you install
IIS. Where it gets you is implementing anything that requires external
libraries like the plethora of PHP extensions available. You either
have to write them yourself or buy them from a 3rd-party vendor. Not
many of them are free. Even handling file uploading requires a
component/library in ASP. I'm not sure about ASP.NET. (I saw it done
once without a COM library, but it was neither pretty nor fast.)

Andrew