Re: not a shopping cart

PJ wrote:
> I was afraid I would get this kind of reaction, but it is not what I
> want or need.
> As I mentioned, all these shopping carts are overbloated for the kind of
> application I am creating.
> I do not need all the heavy baggage that come with them. I have looked
> at them, played with them some years back even and never liked them.
> What I am looking for is something simple that can be used on one page
> and that, at the most will give me a final page summarizing the choices
> that have been made in several other pages and then totaling and sending
> the results to the client. No shopping cart, no frills, no chills, just
> a confirmation of the order.
> Let's not forget that a b2b client has no time for all the pretty lace
> and candy wrap. He/She makes a quick choice, clicks on
> submit/do-it/or/confirm button and goes back to whipping his crew (in
> the kitchen, I suppose). I rather suspect that I will have to drum this
> little thing up by myself.
> To explain the procedure for client:
> 1. Click on navigation choice among categories
> 2. Pages loaded from db (may be several for each category)
> 3. Select quantity from input boxes (box is either empty or has number
> entered - this is stored somewhere)
> 4. Do the same for other pages...
> 5. When finished, click the finish/submit or whatever button. Go back to
> work.
> 6. Back-end tallies the selections adds them enters choices in db and
> send confirmation to client and to company to  fill order.
> 7. Post-back-end is up to the company to fill and deliver. Payment is
> taken care of by company processing credit card and then delivering goodies.
> That's about as simple as it can get. No shipping complications, no
> credit complications. Just click and go.
> All the unnecessary overhead is eliminated by first time registration
> and credit check with confirmed username and password. Otherwise, baby,
> you don't get nothing from this site. Public access and frills are not
> on the product pages unless we ever go that way in the future.
> Believe me, it works... we've done it before and were years ahead of
> everybody...until 9/11... blew us off because they blew away some of our
> clients and their clients as we... and then we had someone fresh meat
> nerds coding and they rather stumbled over their own heels in the
> programming, but that's another story.
>
> Thanks, anyway.
>
> Bastien Koert wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 11:52 AM, PJ <af.gourmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:af.gourmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>     I am setting up a b2b product site where food professionals can order
>>     unique regional products. For this I have to implement a simple series
>>     of pages that display the products and prices. Using php/mysql/css I
>>     load the products, prices etc. with ease.
>>     I have no use for any shopping carts as that is always encumbered by
>>     huge overhead.
> [...]

Since this is a system where people won't actually pay you, and you
aren't fulfilling the orders, it should be fairly simple.  The carts
that I have seen are normally more bloated as you have stated, though
there are some that are just a "cart" where you select products. These
normally include the shipping, tax, and then payment logic for
paypal/google, etc. though.  I haven't used any, but this looked cool:
http://www.dragdropcart.com/ but it's $30.  And here is the first
tutorial I found on a search:
http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/MySQL/Building-A-Persistent-Shopping-Cart-With-PHP-and-MySQL/

Based on many of your other posts, you've already done everything that
is needed here with the possible exception of the email.  Here is the
basics of the user interface, however you need to think about the admin
interface to add products, etc.

1. login user/start session
2. query db for categories and list them
3. when user clicks on a category, query db and list all products in
that category
4. each product has a text field where the name is the product id and
the value is the quantity that is entered by the user
5. when the user clicks submit, you add the post vars to the session and
either go to the next page where you repeat this, or go to the
confirmation page
6. echo out these session vars as the order summary page
7. when the user clicks submit, insert the values into the db and send
your email

Instead of 4 and 5 you can use ajax or a link to another script to add
the product to the cart (cart.php?id=112233).

--
Thanks!
-Shawn