Re: CSS & tables

tedd wrote:
> At 1:25 PM -0400 5/15/09, PJ wrote:
>> I know of no better place to ask. This may not be strictly a PHP issue,
>> but...
>> I am busting my hump trying to format rather large input pages with CSS
>> and trying to avoid tables; but it looks to me like I am wasting my time
>> as positioning with CSS seems an impossibly tortuous exercise. I've
>> managed to do some pages with CSS, but I feel like I am shooting myself
>> in the foot or somewhere...
>> Perhaps I am too demanding. I know that with tables, the formatting is
>> ridiculously fast.
>> Any thoughts, observations or recommendations?
>
> PJ:
>
> You have a choice:
>
> 1. Learn css and do it right;
>
> 2. Use tables.
>
> If you are in a time pinch, number 2 will suffice enough to get it
> past a client (besides, what do they know anyway). But number 1 is
> really the best way to go. Never use tables to hold a layout together.
>
> I know, I have clients who *require* me to use tables for their layout
> and I must bite my lip and comply. But, more and more clients are
> listening to reason as they discover it really is better way to go.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd

Thanks Tedd et al., for your input.
I see that may limited experience was sufficient to understand what you
are all saying: CSS is fine for graphical layouts even with some of the
image limitations, but input/form and more than 1 column formatting is
hell in CSS. So While I was awaiting your input, I set up my tables, had
lunch and whistled Dixie. 8-)
Oh, yes... the client was going up the wall with the time I was wasting
with CSS... the client being myself. ;-)

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."