Re: Software to read/write Excel to CD?

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 16:50 -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 03:22:12PM -0500, Skip Evans wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm inheriting a project that was unsuccessfully off-shored
> > and is now in such bad shape (I've seen the code. It's awful)
> > that they are firing the off-shore company and starting over.
> >
> > One of the things the other company said was possible, and I'm
> > not familiar with... if I understand correctly, is to create a
> > CD with not just an Excel spreadsheet, but software on that CD
> > that when placed in another computer will open the
> > spreadsheet, allow it to be modified and rewritten back to the CD.
> >
> > This is part of the requirements.
> >
> > Does anyone know of such software and its name?
>
> Maybe offshore, but not here. There are only two possibilities. First
> include a copy of Excel on the CD and somehow make it autorun. Yeah,
> Microsoft would *love* that. Second, include some other program which
> would do the same thing. Good luck with that.
>
> And now the kicker-- write the spreadsheet back to CD. Okay, maybe, if
> it's a CD-RW. But who's going to pay attention to that little detail?
> And as far as I know, writing to a CD is far more complicated than
> writing to a hard drive. You can't overwrite data on a CD-RW. Once
> written, it's written. You have to cover up the section that was written
> to (in software), and then write the contents again. Eventually, you'll
> run out of room. And it almost necessitates having a copy of some
> CD-writing software on the CD, since there may not be such software on
> the client machine. And all this assumes the user is running Windows.
> The binaries for one OS won't run on a different OS.
>
> Now, watch. Someone will get on and say, "Oh sure, you can do that with
> such-and-such software. I did it the other day." In which case, just
> forget I said anything. ;-}
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul M. Foster

I've never heard of anything like that, there are so many unknown
variables that I would really feel for the poor team who had to take
that project on! You could do it with a USB drive and a small Linux
distro that was set to run as a boot disk though, and it could do a
whole lot more than just open a spreadsheet up!

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk