Re: 800 pound gorilla

Maybe it's time the PHP dev team start thinking about supporting a database side project of their own. I would do well to have an open source database engine that integrates well with the system under contact development.

The PHP group already did that. They pushed SQLite when MySQL started
GPL'ing the MySQL client libraries. Then MySQL had to open an exception
for inclusion of MySQL client libraries in Open Source projects like PHP.

You can use the mysql fork "Drizzle" - supports most mysql stuff from what I've heard though some has been cut back.

PostgreSQL people are celebrating as they always had a lot of envy of
MySQL success.

They do have a lot of success - just not necessarily in the 'web area.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/