Re: Logical next step in learning?

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Luke <luke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/4/14 phphelp -- kbk <phphelp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>

>> On Apr 14, 2009, at 10:58 AM, Gary wrote:
>>
>>  I think most books have you writing code, and Head First did as well, so I
>>> think that is covered..
>>>

>> No, it isn't. There is a big difference between writing it the way a book
>> tells you to do it, hand-holding all the way and doing it. When you actually
>> have to do it, you take what you have read and apply it, using the book as a
>> reference.
>>

>>  I actually have a real project to do that is a little beyond my abilities
>>> at
>>> this point (its my own), so I want to keep the learning process flowing.
>>>

>> Bastien's suggestion is spot on. Catalog your family members & friends,
>> shoes, girlfriends, any information that is important to you. Really the
>> only way.
>>
>> Ken
>>
>> --
>>

> That or create a website that has already been created, but on a smaller
> scale.
> That way you will run into the common issues that you will have to deal with
> in most of the projects you do.

There's also no reason you couldn't try to break your project down
into its component pieces, and starting to think about how you would
build them on an individual basis. It's not always the best thing to
completely separate the development process like this... but if you
start taking a look at each tree, the forest will become a little
clearer after a few of them. :)

Also, designing processes and such are language-independent, but will
help you to develop pseudocode (whether written or just in your head)
that will eventually become your PHP code.

My first project was a basic membership portal. I split it originally
into how I would organize accounts, the login/logout/check session
stuff, and the memberlist on the front page. It was a digital art
group, and later down the road, I added an art request form and tied
it to a member of the user's selection. Doing it one piece at a time
meant that I got some pretty ugly spaghetti code towards the end, but
knowing how all of the individual pieces worked allowed me to re-vamp
it into an efficient, functional system when everything was said and
done.

YMMV,

--
// Todd