Re: $_GET verses $_POST

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Paul M Foster <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 07:58:24AM +0100, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I've done a bit of research into that, and can't find any evidence to
>> suggest that the so-called "friendly URL's" are actually of any benefit
>> to search engines. Just put a question into Google, and more often than
>> not, the top few results are from forums, which tend not to use these
>> friendly URL's. The only reason one might help with SEO is the case
>> where a site is being redeveloped or re-versioned, and you need to
>> preserve old page names to retain any ranking the site once had.
>
> This is a really good point. I've *always* heard/read that ugly URLs
> aren't indexed by search engines. But somehow it never occurred to me
> that what you're saying about search engine results is true.

The URL of a website is just one more field to cram with
"search-engine-friendly" keywords. If your URL isn't
"http://myserver/blog/regex-with-javascript"; it's not going to count
against you NEARLY as much as people seem to believe nowadays. In
fact, you could probably just put the sentence "regex with javascript"
at the top of your HTML source and it would have the same impact.

--
// Todd