Re: Frameworks / obstinate?

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:11 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 10:50 AM -0400 3/23/09, Bastien Koert wrote:
>>
>> Tedd,
>>
>> JS has been running on MS servers for a long time. It was always viewes as
>> an acceptable replacement for vbscript.
>
> Well -- that's been my fear. I think that M$ is trying to get it's foot into
> this so they can charge for it -- similar to them creating C# as a alternate
> for Java. Has anyone taken M$ certification lately?

If anything, guys, it's not going to be Javascript... it will be some
other child of the ECMA standard, like ActionScript (which interfaces
natively with XML, MXML, and Flash). As for Microsoft and JS, I think
they're finally warming up (a bit) to the Open Source initiative:
jQuery will be included (AS-IS, WITHOUT MODIFICATION) in the new
versions of not only the .NET framework, but in code completion and
documentation for the next Visual Studio developer package.

I'm not so sure that C# was a replacement for Java, either--more a way
to bring C++ (OOP) into the .NET framework while maintaining their new
dynamic of "safe" vs. "unsafe" code, etc...

Related to server-side Javascript... there are MANY languages that
offer JS connectors so that JS can be embedded as a scripting language
in your application.  I'm sure this has been applied to a web
application as well as console apps (in lieu of Lua, VBScript, etc.).

My 2c.

--
// Todd