Re: Knowledge Base software - looking for opinions

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 13:24 -0700, mike wrote:
> Yeah, I have.. but it's just another wiki. Does integrate with its own
> style of bug tracking + svn, but I think an actual KB system would be
> neat.
>
> Especially if it had the capability to have page level security. So I
> can make KB articles just for admins...
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:05 PM, haliphax <haliphax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 2:55 PM, mike <mike503@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> http://puresw.com/products/lore/ - paid
> >> http://www.knowledgebase-script.com/ - paid
> >> http://68kb.com/ - free
> >>
> >> Free is good.
> >>
> >> Just needs to be basic, nothing crazy.
> >>
> >> A Wiki -almost- meets the needs but a) I hate wikis and b) they don't
> >> match up 100%
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > Have you considered TRAC? I know it wasn't built specifically for
> > Knowledge Base articles, but it can be leveraged as such--and has been
> > by many organizations.
> >
> > --
> > // Todd

I'm looking for something similar myself to implement at work as a way
of documenting things we need. I've lost count of the number of times
someone has gone on holiday only for us to then find out that they were
the only one with access details to this server or that system! I've
already set up Mantis at work, and had considered using the docs section
of that, but I think the documentation we're likely to need will go
beyond the project scope, and we might need some way of linking
documents together in a mesh-type way. Does anyone use anything like
this already?

Sorry if it seems I've hijacked this thread, but I felt I wasn't
deviating from the topic really... :p

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk