Re: Script execution

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Daniel Brown <danbrown@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 16:59, George Larson <george.g.larson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Am I imagining things?  If not, how would I properly make them able to run
>> through a browser?
>
>    You're not imagining things.  In general, unless set up with
> SuExec privileges, Apache (which is probably the HTTP server you're
> using) will run as 'nobody,' 'apache,' 'www,' or 'daemon.'  If you
> can't configure it to SuExec (check Google for some ideas on this....
> you'll need root access), you could use the less-secure (this, not
> recommended) options of changing the file mode permissions to 0777 or
> change the file ownership (if you have the right permissions yourself)
> to be owned by the same user and/or group as which Apache runs.
>
>    It may sound a little confusing at first glance, but it's really
> not.  Just keep in mind that UNIX and Linux (Mac and similar OS'es
> fall in here, too) are simultaneous multi-user systems, meaning that
> many users (including virtual users that the system uses as aliases
> for individualized permissions) can be "logged in" and run processes
> concurrently.

OP is a Windows user. I am assuming that they are using Windows.

George, if you are using IIS as your web server, PHP will be executed
(by default, anyway) under the IUSR_<your computer name> user account
(pre-Vista). The directories and files your PHP script will need to
mess with should be given the appropriate permissions as related to
that user.

HTH,

--
// Todd