Re: PHP script lag (5 secs) when declaring mime type.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Jsbeginner <jsbeginner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thankyou Andrew Ballard and 9Tel ,

You're welcome. However, you forgot to reply to the list.

> You both suggest that it's not necessory to set the Content-Length except
> for images etc ... well the problem is that I also need to use this script
> for showing images as well as css and javascript.

As I understand, there is no point in using gzip to serve images since
they are usually already compressed and/or not very well suited to
textual compression. In fact, I suspect that if you serve a document
with a Content-Type of image/gif, image/jpeg, image/png, etc., either
PHP or Apache will detect that and bypass the gzip handler. (That's
just a guess, though. I don't have any way at present to test that
theory.)

> It's actually part of the dotclear blog system, it's plugin system uses a
> very similar code but fetching the mime type automaticaly.
> And it's not part of one plugin but used for all the plugins so if any
> plugins are installed on any dotclear installation on the server there will
> be a lag.
>
> Also I don't see how it would be possible to check file size after gzip ...
> doesn't PHP take the file and then pass it through gzip changing the size on
> the way ?

Based on Nisse's response, I think you're better off leaving the
Content-Length header out entirely (as we already suggested).