Re: whoami explanation

2009/3/4 PJ <af.gourmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Stuart wrote:
> > Cracking response Dan, and I agree fully with most of it. A while back
> > I was a far more active contributor to the PHP lists than I am now
> > (promotion == more responsibility == less spare time) and the reason I
> > do it is because it never seems like work - it's fun!!
> >
> > But I feel I must correct you on one point...
> >
> > 2009/3/4 Daniel Brown <danbrown@xxxxxxx <mailto:danbrown@xxxxxxx>>
> >
> >     Â Â  Thirdly:
> >     Â  Â  Â  Â > Perhaps one should check as to what the input to
> >     Google was -
> >     Â  Â  Â  Â > to compare and find why there might be a discrepancy.
> >     This
> >     is jumping to
> >     Â  Â  Â  Â > conclusions without proper empirical research.
> >
> >     Â  Â Considering I *gave* PJ the search term to use at input, I'll
> >     consider my research to be done, complete and accurate, to the best
> of
> >     my knowledge and the collective knowledge of the community, as it's
> >     publicly-archived in its entirety. Â It's not jumping to conclusions
> >     when the conclusions were already at our feet from the beginning.
> >     Â The
> >     answer was there before he even asked the question.
> >

> > The results returned by Google are not constant. They vary based on
> > your location, which domain you're using, which index instance you hit
> > and a number of other things, most of which are not public. It is more
> > than possible that PJ did get different results to you from the same
> > search term. Hell, I get different results on my machine than the guy
> > the other side of the office.
> >
> > That was all.
> am I vindicated  ;-)

Not really, because the results were there you just didn't put in enough
effort.

Precision Googling should be taught at school - it's a life skill that keeps
boring questions from recurring on lists like this with painful regularity.
And by Googling I don't necessarily mean by using Google - other search
engines are available.

-Stuart

--
http://stut.net/