Looking for some PHP OO programming guides

Hi,
I'm just getting into programming in an Object Oriented fashion, and am looking for some guides, tutorials, hints, tips, etc...

I only just found out that you remove the $ from variables when calling them from $this->

e.g :
<?php
class People
{
private $person = "not set";
   function __construct()
   {
*$person* = "A person"; //This doesn't work (well it creates a variable $person that only has the scope of the current function from what I can gather)..
    $this->*person* = "A person"; //This works properly
    }
   function display_list()
   {
   echo $person; //This doesn't work
     echo $this->person; //This works.
   }
}

$person= new People;
$person->display_list();
?>

Instead of painstakingly working out most of the other mistakes I'm likely to make, I'd love to read about other peoples issues they had with learning OO so I can skip most of the hard stuff, and only make small mistakes (hopefully).
--

Michael Kubler
*G*rey *P*hoenix *P*roductions <http://www.greyphoenix.biz>