Re: PHP usage stats

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Daniel Brown <danbrown@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 15:21, Stuart <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I would advise you against wasting your time because there is no
>> reliable way to tell what systems a server is actually using to serve
>> pages. Nearly all sites I work on these days use techniques to remove
>> extensions from URLs, and a fair few hide all details of the server
>> software for a variety of reasons. Since you can't say with any
>> certainty what your margin of error is, the numbers will be
>> meaningless as a measure of language usage.
>
>    Right, but adjusting the math as appropriate should be fine.  If a
> site doesn't report either PHP or ASP, for example, don't include it
> in the count.  If we have 100 sites that we spider and 23 report
> having PHP capabilities, 16 report being able to support ASP, fifty
> (half) having no response, we know that 46% of the total can serve PHP
> code while 32% can serve ASP, because we will only record the total
> based upon responses.  I'm sure there are flaws in this logic....
> which is why I'm thinking aloud here.  ;-P

For regular ASP, the server won't report anything. Generally, if the
server identifies itself as IIS it will support regular old ASP. These
sites will generally use VBScript, but they could use JScript. If the
developer is really hard core, they could use any Active Scripting
language. What's more, I wonder how many might still be using
something like Chili!Soft ASP on Linux/Apache. (I'd expect it might be
small enough to be negligible.)

Our servers (and many others I know of) are IIS, so they will support
ASP without announcing this to the world. They will also report yes to
both ASP.NET and PHP unless we have notification turned off for some
reason because both are available even though everything we are doing
right now is in PHP. Even in my last job (same employer, different
department) we had ASP, ASP.NET, PHP and ColdFusion available.
Everything we wrote was ASP, but from time to time we'd get an app
written in one of the other languages that someone wanted to host for
their department and often we'd host it. For that matter, what about
someone using Phalanger, Monologo, or the like to write PHP syntax
inside .NET?  :-)

Andrew