Re: PHP usage stats

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Daniel Brown <danbrown@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 09:35, Richard Heyes <richard@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone point out some general statistics on PHP usage compared to
>> other server languages? I've tried Netcraft, but they only appear (or
>> I've only found) to have statistics on the httpd server used.
>
>    All @php.net addresses reject Google links for me (and probably
> you, too), so I copied the message from my 'Sent' folder to a blog I
> just put up about 4:30a this morning.  There's some basic metrics on
> PHP vs. ASP, etc. there:
>
>        http://oidk.net/archives/5-Some-Interesting-Metrics-on-PHP-vs-ASP-vs-etc..html

Interesting. It's probably not bad for a rough estimate of the number
of scripted pages on the web, still accounting for reasonable margin
of error. As you note though, its the number of pages -- not sites --
indexed.

For what it's worth, you missed .do, .dll, .exe, and I'm sure others
(yes, I've seen web sites running what I assume to be compiled web
applications with all of these extensions) as well as anything using
URL rewriting such as Zend Framework's MVC, and who knows what else.
Stats could also be blurred by redundant sites with multiple domain
names, aliases, etc.

[Google URL]/search?q=site%3A.com+filetype%3Ado
141M

[Google URL]/search?q=site%3A.com+filetype%3Adll
62.1M

[Google URL]/search?q=site%3A.com+filetype%3Aexe
7.6M

Of course, with extensions like .dll or .exe it's hard to tell whether
the indexed resource is a compiled web app or if it is a file
available for downloading.

Definitely still a slippery number to pin down. Nice use of Google though. :)

Andrew