Re: PHP usage stats

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 11:10 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 10:02 AM -0500 2/9/09, Andrew Ballard wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Paul M Foster <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  > Perhaps a better question then might be how many IIS servers are there
>>>
>>>  out there compared to Apache. Apache servers uniformly support PHP, but
>>>  I think only IIS servers support ASP (I could be wrong).
>>
>> We're running PHP under IIS where I currently work. For that matter,
>> I'm pretty sure the headers spit out that both ASP.NET and PHP are
>> supported on these machines, even though we're not currently using
>> ASP.NET.
>
> So using IIS v Apache is not a good measure for trying to determine php and
> asp numbers, right?
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd

Probably not. For that matter, ColdFusion under both IIS and Apache on
either Windows or Linux (though the only couple installations I've
seen have been on Windows/IIS). You could get a reasonable ballpark
from something like netcraft, but I think Stuart is right on the money
when it comes to the problems you'll have with margin of error. For
that matter, I wonder how useful some of the newer smashups I've seen
like builtwith.com really can be, if sites are configured to hide the
headers that identify the server software and/or supported languages.

Andrew