Re: Blank page of hell..what to look for

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Jim Lucas <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Terion Miller wrote:
>> Is there a certain thing that should be suspected and looked at first when
>> getting the php blank page of hell....
>> I have errors on and nothing is being output anywhere to lead me in the
>> right direction, I have a VariableReveal script (one of you provide and
>> THANK YOU IT HAS BEEN A LIFESAVER) But it is doing nothing today, yesterday
>> the page worked today I get the blank page with not a clue in sight....
>> ARGH...
>> Terion
>>

> More then likely it is a parse error within the page.  And no matter what error reporting you have turned on "within" the script will effect the outcome.
>
> You have two choices.  Turn on error reporting from apache using the httpd.conf file, in your php.ini file, or with a .htaccess file.
>
> This is the only way to get around parse errors without having error reporting turned on globally.
>
> The other way is to cut/paste your code into sections.
>
> Cut out a large chunk of it, see if it works, if it does, paste it back in and remove a smaller chunk,  rinse/repeat until your find the error of your
> ways... :)
>
> Better yet, use a IDE the does code highlighting.  This would point you to the problem rather quickly.
>
> --
> Jim Lucas
>
>   "Some men are born to greatness, some achieve greatness,
>       and some have greatness thrust upon them."
>
> Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V
>    by William Shakespeare
>
> --

Yes I have not had a single parse error in any of my files since I
started using Eclipse (first phpeclipse but now PDT).  It will even
scan every single file in your current site (project) to make sure
there's nothing wrong in them.  It then puts a red icon inside the
file explorer and also adds an entry into the problems tab.  Very
useful stuff.  It also has real-time parse error detection to help you
from making them in the first place.

--
http://www.voom.me | EFnet: #voom