Re: RES: Bad words [SQL, database, txt, whatever]

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 16:22 -0500, Robert Cummings wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 13:14 -0800, Daevid Vincent wrote:
> >
> > Thankfully he IM'd me about it and I fixed it for him, but if he were a
> > "real customer", I bet they would go away and never come back.  I
> > commented out the code and it's bit-rotting as we speak, as it's just
> > too much h*BLEEP*le to try and deal with all possibilities. Instead, I get
> > an email notification whenever someone joins up and if they're sketchy,
> > then I just delete them manually. Customers are too valuable to
> > ostracize because of a strstr() in their name...
>
> Fixed the above for you.
>
> >:)
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.
> --
> http://www.interjinn.com
> Application and Templating Framework for PHP

Even more recently than Hotmail, iTunes tried something similar to
protect their 'sensitive' customers and censored out album names like
'Smells Like T**n Spirit' and 'I Though I Saw A P***y Cat'. Seems a
little silly, but it goes to show that it's not a small problem, and
even one of the big boys (should those last two words be censored?) can
get it wrong!

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk