Re: RES: Bad words [SQL, database, txt, whatever]

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 21:10 +0000, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> Not only that, but just replacing words can cause it's own problems. I
> remember a lot of early basic filters (Hotmail anyone?) that prevented
> words like this, and any unfortunate with a surname of Hancock was left
> in a right mess!

I second that. I had a website that tried to prevent users from entering
in so-called "bad words" as their user, first or last name upon
registration.

Well my good friend's name is Tom Cassell.... My algorithm prevented him
from registering (due to the 'ass' in his last name).

Thankfully he IM'd me about it and I fixed it for him, but if he were a
"real customer", I bet they would go away and never come back.  I
commented out the code and it's bit-rotting as we speak, as it's just
too much hassle to try and deal with all possibilities. Instead, I get
an email notification whenever someone joins up and if they're sketchy,
then I just delete them manually. Customers are too valuable to
ostracize because of a strstr() in their name...