Re: Coding for email response forms

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 16:34, Tom <obelix16@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Shawn,
> So would that look something like this:
> <?
> if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == "POST") {
>
> // Just to be safe, I strip out HTML tags
> $realname = strip_tags($realname);
> $email = strip_tags($email);
> $feedback = strip_tags($feedback);
>
> // set the variables
> // replace $me@xxxxxxxxxx with your email
> $sendto = "$me@xxxxxxxxxx";
> $subject = "Sending Email Feedback From My Website";
> $message = "$realname, $email\n\n$feedback";
>
> // send the email
> mail($sendto, $subject, $message);
>
> }
> ?>

    For processing once it reaches the server, yes - almost exactly.
A few recommended changes though:

        * Change <? to <?php for compatibility across servers with
different PHP configurations.
        * Change your if() to if($_POST['realname'])
        * DO NOT rely on register_globals - it's insecure and will
soon be phased-out of PHP.  Instead, using your code:
            $realname = strip_tags($_POST['realname']);
        * Use explicit headers with mail().  For example:
            $headers  = "From: you@xxxxxxxxxxx\r\n";
            $headers .= "X-Mailer: PHP/".phpversion()."\r\n";
            mail($sendto,$subject,$message,$headers);
        * Do something (exit, header("Location: otherpage.html")
redirect, etc.) so that the form doesn't reappear.

    Then, either include that code at the top of the file in which
your HTML resides, or place it in it's own file (for example:
formproc.php) and change your form tag to:
            <form method="POST" action="formproc.php" name="formName"
id="formName">

    NB: My original responses that this wasn't PHP-related was based
on your original message, saying that your "submit button" wasn't
working, and then including HTML and JavaScript code only.  It didn't
appear as though it had anything to do with PHP.  Getting a good
answer is best-achieved by asking a well-formed question.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxx || danbrown@xxxxxxx