Re: New PHP User with a simple question

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:53:55PM -0600, Micah Gersten wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:

<snip>

> > Please show me how *without Javascript* and *only with PHP* you can
> > change the content on a page interactively as the user described
> > *without* reloading the whole page. Xajax contains Javascript, which is
> > how it manages this feat.
> >
> > For Pete's sake people, this is a *new* PHP user who wanted a *simple*
> > solution to a relatively simple webpage problem. He's not looking for a
> > Javascript solution, or a framework solution, or an OOP solution. He's
> > not necessarily looking for a bulletproof, high security solution. He's
> > a *new* PHP user. He just wants to figure out how to do this simple
> > thing. Give him a *simple* answer. If you have to give him provisos
> > about security, OOP, or Javascript afterward, fine.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> I'm not saying that he should use it.  I'm saying that *YOUR *claim was
> false.  You should watch what you say.  You said you *HAVE* to reload
> which is not true.  I said nothing about without JavaScript.  I agree
> that he shouldn't necessarily use that.  That's why I snipped his stuff
> out and just quoted you.

Since he asked the question on a *PHP* list, I assumed he wanted a *PHP*
solution, not a Javascript one. I also assumed that the OP was not a
Javascript programmer, since as a Javascript programmer, the solution
should have been obvious in Javascript. Ergo, my statements were in the
context of a *PHP* solution to his question.

Moreover, his question indicated that he didn't understand some basic
fundamentals of the PHP execution model. Throwing a framework or
Javascript solution at him would have been like putting a 14 year old
behind the wheel of a Ferrari.

But fair warning to all list members and future newbies who post here:
If you ask for a solution on *this* list, and you give indications that
you're not familiar with how PHP works with HTTP and HTML, then I will
give you a PHP-based solution, and avoid Javascript, Java, C, Perl,
Python, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, .NET, C++, C#, ECMAScript, Algol, PL/1,
assembler, APL, Fortran, COBOL, frameworks and other assorted odds and
ends which *might* do what you want, but aren't what you asked for.

(Of course, I might give you a LISP/Scheme solution, though. ;-)

Paul
--
Paul M. Foster