PHP IRC Bot - Listening on a Socket

Hey,

I'm writing an IRC bot from scratch in PHP. I'd like to be able to
announce events, such as SVN commit notifications, through the bot.
The only way to do this that I can think of is to have the bot listen
on a socket and have the program (in this example, the SVN post-commit
hook script) send some data over the socket.

I know a bit about connecting via sockets in PHP, but not about
listening on sockets. What would be the best way to setup a
non-blocking listening socket, while being connected via IRC (and
parsing input/output) simultaneously?

Or, does anyone have any suggestions on alternative ways to send data
to the IRC Bot (other than sockets)? I could possibly have the
external scripts store data in a text file, then just have the PHP Bot
read and delete the data on a timer.

Thank you for any and all help/suggestions,
~Steve