Re: Re: 64bit vs. 32bit

Micah Gersten wrote:

>Linux can already address all the RAM on a 32 bit system with PAE.  The
>advantage of 64 bit with regards to RAM is that a single process can
>address more than 2.5 - 2.7 GB of RAM.

True, what I meant was processes on Linux will be able to address more.
Good catch.

Even with PAE and 64GB of RAM, there's a physical limit on what a
process can address, 4GB, and that's further limited by resources that
must be mapped into the process space. IIRC, the number is more like
3.3GB or thereabouts, depending on the build and hardware. Unless, of
course, they're specifically coded to make use of PAE... :)
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"My old man told me one time, you never get wise, you only get older"