Re: developers life

I'm not alone then (didn't think so :p)

Ashley Sheridan wrote:
On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 21:28 +0000, Nathan Rixham wrote:
well just for the hell of it; and because I'm feeling worn..

anybody else find the following true when you're a developer?

- frequent bursts of side-tracking onto more interesting subjects
yes, but it tends to be side-tracking to what management thinks is more
important; which usually isn't!

so true - worse yet, a client with a comittee!

- vast amount of inhuman focus, followed by inability to remain focussed
yes, and coffee can only go so far!
- general tendancy to keep taking on projects, often for no good reason
yes, I'm a sucker really, and can't seem to say no to people
- inability to flip out of work mode at 5pm like the rest of the world
yes, i work a lot on the commute to/from work :-/
-- [sub] not feeling normal unless worked you've extra; while other professions demand overtime as little as an extra 15 minutes
- constant learning (positive thing)
yep
- unlimited skill scope, if its on a computer you'll give it a go
not too sure about actual skill scope, but like many a man, i'll give it
a go, even if I know I don't know what I'm doing!
- amazing ability to prioritise (the wrong things)
yes, albeit aided immensely by management!
- all projects suddenly become uninteresting and all motivation is lost at approx 65-85 percent completion
yeah, funny that!
- the code seems more important than the app (even though its not)
what's usability again?
- lots more but lost interest / focus
hehe
ps:
expectantly installed windows 7 over the weekend, brief moment of excitement coupled with the thought "i wonder what it's like"; anticlimax + reality check, it was just a taskbar, start menu and desktop.. you'd think I'd know by now.
go linux ;)

i am at work, but at home "virtualbox for all your multi-os needs"