How to use SVN + PHP

Hey,
I'm thinking about implementing Subversion to an existing php project for
obvious reasons.

But I have some trouble when thinking about the usage.

Situation is:
There are already 2 servers. One running the "live/productive" version and
one for developing new features. Until now it works like: copy live code to
develop-server - develop new features - try to migrate to live-server.

My ideas about using SVN are these:
- Repository is managing trunk, branch and tag
- Live-server works as client of the rep, getting the latest tag
- Develop-server uses mainly latest trunk and of course branches as needed

Until now there is no problem. But:
developing before was like: write new source, transfering to develop-server,
calling page with browser, checking if everythings works and start form
beginning.

Now same(?) with SVN:
- writing new source
- but than? commiting to rep and than updating as of servers point of view?
not very nice to work with.
Is it possible to configure one client (here develop-server) to
automatically updating from rep if something is committed?

Next problem:
While writing new code there are many "small bugs" like used an array
instead of an string or other way round forgotten parameters and so on.
Usually there are quite some file transfers until some piece of code works
quite well. But with the method above all these versions would end up being
in the rep and kind of "polluting" it.
To solve this I thought about just creating a branch with every work cycle
(so after updating until committing a working version) and than while
committing also merging it back with current trunk/branch...

Well but I'm quite not sure if this is how it should work...
Any useful hints on that?

Some background notes:
- Never used SVN or similar software before, but read and I think understood
advantages and basic usage of SVN
- Don't know if there is maybe alternative software more useful to use with
php?

-eddy