Re: HTML pages are faster then php?

________________________________
From: Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Lamp Lists <lamp.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:47:28 PM
Subject: Re:  HTML pages are faster then php?

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 14:34 -0800, Lamp Lists wrote:
> hi,
> as far as I know (at least I was told so) html page will download faster then the same page made with php getting the same info from mysql, right?
>
> let's pretend we are building php/mysq based website of one football team. there are pages of every player, about the team, games etc.
> in admin area there is form to enter player's data: first name, last name,  DOB, place of birth, him number (jersey), previous teams, education,...
> we submit data and they are stored in database. and we just did for john doe, (id=12345), born on 1986-10-02 in Paris, TX (do you remember nastasia kinski? :-))
>
> on front end there is list of players and you click on john doe's name and the page will show submitted data.
>
> what if we, together with storing john doe data into mysql, create html page 12345.html with all his data. and actually, when visitor clicks on his name on the list of players it will not open player.php?id=12345 then 12345.html?
>
> this page will download faster, right?
>
> downside, depending of type of the website, it could be thousands and thousands of pages, but still...?
>
> to edit john doe page, the administrator (in admin area) will pull the data from mysql, do the changes and submit new ones to mysql and overwrite 12345.html page.
>
> now, what's bad with this "structure"? what am I thinking wrong?
>
> thanks
>
> ll

I've seen CMS's do this kind of thing before, and really you only have
an advantage if you are getting lots and lots (think many thousands) of
visitors a day. The overhead isn't all that large and the user won't
even notice it. The advantage to having the site done only in PHP/MySQL
is that should you decide to add elements to the site in the future,
with a CMS driven site it's much easier than having to edit the part of
the CMS that is outputting the HTML files and then making it run through
an re-create each and every page, which will be very slow each time you
have to do it.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk