Re: Zend Framework...where to start?

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 3:36 PM,  <jcorry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been reading about these great new 'frameworks' for PHP development.
>
> The most similar experience I have so far is using PEAR/Smarty in
> application development.
>
> I am becoming very interested in adding one (or more) of these frameworks to
> my work existence.
>
> I'm leaning toward the Zend Framework for the following reasons:
> 1. Zend's commitment to PHP in the enterprise environment
> 2. I'm studying for Zend PHP certification...so remaining within the same
> family sort of makes sense.
> 3. It's widely heralded as a very good 'framework'
> 4. Integration with my IDE, Zend Studio
> 5. Great support/userbase/forums/docs
>
> I'm getting ready to start a new project that is going to be somewhat of a
> stretch for me. It'll be probably the most complex project I've done where
> I'm the only designer/developer and have to do everything myself: from func
> spec to mockups to wireframes to database design to documentation to code to
> maintenance...all of it is me.
>
> What do you think, should I kill 2 birds with one stone and use the ZF to
> build this new project? Or would it slow me down to add 'learning the ins
> and outs of a new way of working' to my already long list of tasks and short
> time to complete them?
>
> Zend touts this thing as 'saving time' and 'letting you work more
> efficiently'. Will the new developer who is learning how to use ZF realize
> those efficiencies or are they only for the people who are quite experienced
> with the framework?
>
> I'm curious about whether it's practical to begin with a framework by using
> it on a real, production project.
>
> ??
>
> John Corry

ZF isn't going to save you any time on a single project.  The time
savings is over time with multiple projects where everything is
organized the same way, code sharing, new developers not having to
learn something new each time, etc.  It is also one of the hardest to
actually use too since it can be customized on any part of it.  I'd
recommend it though because it does have a good community, lots of
eyes on it, frequent releases, & docs.

The only way to really know if it works though is to use it for real.
When I play code at home I'm never going to give myself the hard time
about some weird edge case business rule that I have to at work.
Using ZF on a project is going to make you have to do that and learn
where it works and doesn't work for you.

There's a lot more to this discussion though.  So keep researching and
trying different ones out.