Re: FirePHP -- pretty cool

'Twas brillig, and Skip Evans at 11/01/09 19:19 did gyre and gimble:
Hey Nitsan & all,

I haven't been through it all, I just installed the plug in and download the file to include and started using it.

I would imagine you have to use their log function to get any output, but it seems like the kind of thing that could be left in the code without any ill-affect.

I wrote a wrapper in my global functions file, and I suppose if I wanted to turn it off I'd just have that function return at the top.

So far I'm finding it useful and easy enough to use.

If you don't want to change your code I would imagine something like xdebug would be the next step.

If you use the Zend Framework it has a log target to this already. For production releases you would use a dummy logger. This still has code overhead but it's one of those load vs. benefits tradeoffs.

If you really want it to be efficient, you can format your code in such a way that a script would process your files and comment out all the log calls. Depends whether it's worth the effort to do this really!

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie