Re: Adressing XML Objects

Nathan Nobbe wrote:

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Nathan Rixham <nrixham@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:nrixham@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Nathan Nobbe wrote:

        On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Merlin Morgenstern
        <merlin_x@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:merlin_x@xxxxxxxxxxx>>wrote:

            Hello nathan,

            I am unsing simplexml as it looks really simple :-)
            However, I could still
            not figure out how to adress data inside tags with
            attributes. For example:

            <anhang location="INTERN" gruppe="TITELBILD">
                  <data>bla blub</data>

            $xml->anhang[intern][titelbild]->data will not work.

        again, ill need some clarification.  are you trying to get the
        data node
        directly, OR, are you trying to get the contents of all nodes
        which are
        descendants of anhang nodes, w/ attributes location and
        gruppe, having
        values INTERN and TITLEBILD respectively?

        these are two different the things, the former being, well simple

        $xml->anhang->data

        the latter i would do via xpath, which SimpleXML supports as well.

        -nathan

    I think you hit the nail on the head with XPath nathan;

    //anhang[@location='INTERN' and @gruppe='TITELBILD']/data

    which would be requiring DOMDocument and DOMXPath

ive been really lazy about testing stuff first today :), but why not just rock it out w/ SimpleXML,

$xml = new SimpleXMLElement($xmlstr);
$searchResult = $xml->xpath('//anhang[@location='INTERN' and @gruppe='TITELBILD']/data');

at least im just saying you dont NEED DOMDocument & DOMXPath, but def, that is an alternative to SimpleXML. -nathan

nice clarification namesake - I've always just dived right in to DOMDocuments and never gave simplexml much weight; but that's no reflection on simplexml :p