Re: Because you guys/gals/girls/women/insert pc term here are a smart lot

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 9:17 AM, David Giragosian <dgiragosian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 1/7/09, Jim Lyons <jlyons4435@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> There are other factors.  If a table is completely fixed in size it makes
>> for a faster lookup time since the offset is easier to compute.  This is
>> true, at least, for myisam tables.  All books on tuning that I have read
>> have said the CHAR makes for more efficient lookup and comparison that
>> VARCHAR.
>>
>> Also, I was told by the instructor at a MySQL class that all VARCHAR
>> columns
>> are converted to CHAR when stored in memory.  Can anyone else confirm this?
>

> That's my recollection, also, derived from a MySQL class. IIRC, the char
> length is equal to the longest varchar record in the column.

Actually it's a fixed-length buffer big enough to hold the worst-case
possible value, not the worst-case existing value.  In bytes, no less.
 If it's a utf8 varchar(100), that's 300 bytes, even if the biggest
value in the table is one character.

--
Baron Schwartz, Director of Consulting, Percona Inc.
Our Blog: http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/