Re: Because you guys/gals/girls/women/insert pc term here are a smart lot

There are other factors.  If a table is completely fixed in size it makes
for a faster lookup time since the offset is easier to compute.  This is
true, at least, for myisam tables.  All books on tuning that I have read
have said the CHAR makes for more efficient lookup and comparison that
VARCHAR.

Also, I was told by the instructor at a MySQL class that all VARCHAR columns
are converted to CHAR when stored in memory.  Can anyone else confirm this?