Re: Architecture patterns in PHP

Hello,

on 12/27/2008 10:57 PM Murray said the following:
> I'm interested in this topic as well. I'm starting out on a reasonably large
> web application, and I'm wondering at the best approach in PHP, particularly
> since it's been some years since I worked with PHP on a daily basis (the
> last 5 years have been purely C#).
>
> There's some dev community bias against using frameworks, isn't there? On
> one hand I'd love to take an approach that would make my end goal easier
> (thanks for pointing out Code Igniter, I'll look into it further), but on
> the other hand I'd rather avoid choices that 'tainted' (perhaps not the
> right word, but the best I could think of) the overall acceptance of the
> application once it's ready for release.

I would not say there is bias against frameworks, but rather that there
is no consensual around a specific framework. Some people prefer one
framework, other people prefer others. Some people prefer relying on
code written by themselves, others prefer using ready to code provided
by others.

One thing is certain, if you adopt a framework, you need to invest time
learning how to use it. Some frameworks are not easy to learn and you
end up spending more time than you wanted.

Here is a longer reflection about using frameworks in PHP:

http://www.phpclasses.org/blog/post/52-Recommended-PHP-frameworks.html

> So, currently I'm wondering about things like, 'Do I make an app that is a
> distinct page-per-function, or do I make an app that uses a monolithic
> index.php (similar to Wordpress?) and dynamically presents
> *everything*based on querystring values.'

Personally I prefer to separate in different pages. It helps making
things more organized.

To sort out things that are more organized, some people use frameworks
to help parsing URL parameters and route requests to different
application modules.

If you separate things, you do not need to build or learn any framework
to handle things separately.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos